EIGHTY YEARS AGO
September 3, 1929
* Martin Peterson, Ralph Peterson and Helen Peterson, of Monett, left today for Kansas City to visit their four sisters.
* John Wormington and his daughter, Helen, of Monett, went to Carthage on Sunday to visit relatives.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
September 3, 1939
* Britain has given its final word to Germany and instructed her ambassador to ask for his passport unless German troops are withdrawn from Poland.
* Football, which used to be so famously played in Verona several years back, will be revived this fall. The game to be played is a six-man football, a new game which is sweeping the country.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
September 3, 1959
* E.B. Brattin of Liberty township was elected as chairman of the Barry County ASC committee at the annual convention of township ASC delegates in Cassville on Friday.
* Leslie Mason of Monett was named chairman of the Monett Industrial Development Corporation's committee for the campaign to sell $150,000 in debentures to finance the construction of a factory building.
FORTY YEARS AGO
September 3, 1969
* Three residents of Monett passed their Missouri bar examinations recently. They are Henry Clapper, James Randall and J. Edward Sweeney.
* Mrs. Alice Sears, of Monett, who makes pictures from seeds, weeds and common plants, was the subject of an article recently in the Springfield News-Leader.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
September 3, 1979
* The third annual Polish Uczta (Celebration) has been scheduled for September 9 at Sts. Peter and Paul Catholic Church in Pulaskifield.
* Annual membership drive was launched and plans for the coming year were discussed at an organizational meeting of the Monett Band Boosters last night.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
September 3, 1989
* Michael Ogle, a volunteer fireman with the Monett Fire Department since August 15, has been named as a regular fireman, according to Jim Nolan, fire chief.
* Members of this year's Monett Cubs volleyball team are Stacey Tyson, Lori Clapper, Melanie Stout, Barbara Bauer, Michelle Schmidt, Tracy Holloway, Marci Daugherty, Missy Pefferman and Melinda Cox.
TEN YEARS AGO
September 3, 1999
* Amy Jo Larson, a Cassville High School student from Shell Knob, was first runner-up for the Miss Chick title at the annual Crane Broiler Fest event.
* Aaron Williams, of the Purdy Eagles, belted two home runs to lead Purdy to a season-opening 10-0 victory over Clever.