EIGHTY YEARS AGO
September 2, 1929
* Coach Walter Reynaud of Neosho, whose home is in Monett, went to Neosho yesterday in preparation for his duties as a member of the next high school faculty.
* Ross Baker has been employed as a clerk in the Monett Drug Store, it has been announced.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
September 2, 1939
* Mrs. John Hunt departed for her home in Bakersfield, California, following a visit with her parents, Attorney and Mrs. J.E. Sater in Monett.
* Britain is preparing for war and has ordered full mobilization in the wake of Germany's attack on Poland.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
September 2, 1949
* Two hundred persons are expected to attend a district Methodist young people's rally Friday night at the First Methodist Church in Monett.
* School starts Tuesday for Monett youngsters, according to E.E. Camp, superintendent of schools.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
September 2, 1959
* A contract was signed today by the board of directors of the Monett Industrial Development Corporation and a manufacturing company whereby the company would move its operations to Monett providing MIDC raise $150,000 in debentures within the 30 days for the construction of a factory building.
* A total of 1,190 students reported for classes today in Monett schools, the largest number in 19 years.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
September 2, 1979
* A tax levy of 20 cents on the $100 valuation was adopted by the board of trustees of the Barry-Lawrence Regional Library following a public hearing yesterday.
* The first Monett Civic Club Golf Tournament will be held Saturday at the Monett Municipal Golf Course with members of all civic clubs invited to participate.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
September 2, 1989
* D&G Service Center at 1001 Central in Monett has been purchased by James and Patty Coatney and Delmar Jarvis, all of Monett.
* Rick Anthony, president of Mercantile Bank of Monett, has been named a member of the core faculty at the National Graduate School of Banking at the University of Wisconsin.
TEN YEARS AGO
September 2, 1999
* Geneva Probstfield took home a fistful of ribbons from the Verona Flower Show last Saturday.
* Kevin Cloud, chairman of the local Muscular Dystrophy Association drive for the Monett Fire Department said firefighters will be out at Highways 37 and 60 beginning Friday collecting funds to benefit MDA.