SEVENTY YEARS AGO
August 27, 1939
* J.R. Williams, who lives seven miles west of Pierce City, has a white mule which he says some freak show circus may own.
* Zelda Dunn, of Monett, was hostess to a dinner party and bridal shower at the home of Joe Mason honoring Helen Wallace.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
August 27, 1949
* Mrs. A.A. Speer, of Dallas, Texas, are guests this week in the home of Mrs. Speer's parents, Mr. and Mrs. M.E. Gillioz, of Monett.
* Mr. and Mrs. James White, of St. Louis, are visiting Mrs. O.E. Gillette, of Monett, this week.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
August 27, 1959
* The $86,000 addition to the Trinity Lutheran parochial school in Freistatt is nearing completion.
* Mrs. T.A. Rueb, a niece of Mrs. W.R. Russell, of Monett, and her daughter, Sally, of Tulsa, Oklahoma, are guests in the home of Mrs. Russell.
FORTY YEARS AGO
August 27, 1969
* A new record for first day enrollment in Monett public schools was set today with preliminary figures indicating a total of 1,512 students are attending classes.
* David Baker, of Wentworth, captured his fourth state championship in horseshoes at the Missouri State Fair in Sedalia yesterday.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
August 27, 1979
* Two masked and armed men entered the Table Rock branch of the Commerce Bank of Barry County in Eagle Rock this morning and escaped with an undetermined amount of money.
* Monett Division of Gas Service Company will move tomorrow to the recently completed new office and operations facility at 207 Pine Street.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
August 27, 1989
* Gregg Mercer, formerly of Monett, has resigned as fire chief of Aurora, effective September 4.
* Contract for Monett's regular street improvement program has been awarded to Hutchens Construction Company of Cassville.
TEN YEARS AGO
August 27, 1999
* The Golden Circle Shores Association will host its 49th annual Fiddlers Contest at the Golden Community Center on Saturday.
* Hanne Kristin Blakstad from Norway has arrived in Monett as the 38th American Field Services student to spend a senior year at Monett High School. She will reside in the home of Steve and Diana Brown during the school year.