EIGHTY YEARS AGO
August 5, 1929
* Mr. and Mrs. Elisha Bass and Mr. and Mrs. John Pilant of Monett will leave Friday on a fishing trip to Cape Fair.
* Mr. and Mrs. O.U. Vermillion of Monett are taking a three-week vacation to Washington, Indiana and Minnesota.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
August 5, 1939
* Mr. and Mrs. Russell Hagar of Monett have been visiting in Joplin with Hagar's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Hagar.
* Mrs. J.C. Anderson and sons of Monett left Wednesday for San Francisco, California, where they will attend the World's Fair and visit relatives.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
August 5, 1949
* Monett's regular quota of blood for the Red Cross Blood Bank in Springfield will be 200 pints annually, it has been announced.
* William P. Scott of Monett attended a meeting of the board of missions and home extensions of the Southwest Missouri Conference of the Methodist Church in Springfield yesterday.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
August 5, 1959
* Rev. J.L. Rogers will preach his first sermon as pastor of the Church of the Nazarene in Monett tomorrow.
* After over 41 years of service to the Frisco Railroad in Monett, Loyd Cox has stepped down from his engineer's seat of authority yesterday into retirement.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
August 5, 1979
* Jim Arnold, activities director of Lakes Country Search and Research Squad, detailed what that organization does to the Monett Kiwanis Club yesterday.
* Miss Sherri Anderson returned to Joplin from Kansas City yesterday after winning the title of Miss Missouri-World.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
August 5, 1989
* Groundbreaking ceremonies for Monett's new $1.1 million Missouri Army National Guard Armory will be held Saturday at the site just off Chapell Drive in Monett.
* Craftsmen from Ceramic Corner and The Wedding Corner in Monett claimed 27 ribbons in competition at the Ozark Empire Fair in Springfield.
TEN YEARS AGO
August 5, 1999
* A total of 75 vehicles participated in this year's 11th annual Pierce City Car Show held at the South Park in Pierce City.
* A larger budget and salary increases for teachers were adopted by the Monett R-1 Board of Education at its July meeting.