SEVENTY YEARS AGO
July 31, 1939
* United States Secretary of the Treasury Henry Morgenthau announced today he would make a special trip to Finland to thank that country for paying its war debt regularly.
* Mrs. Dan Macdonald, Mrs. Earl Varner, Mrs. Roy Allen, and Mrs. Fred Frear were appointed delegates to represent the Monett American Legion Auxiliary at the state convention to be held in Joplin in September.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
July 31, 1949
* Free swimming in the Monett Pool is in store for those attending the covered dish picnic planned by the local Frisco Employees Club for Monday evening, it was announced by Carl Wise, club president.
* Approximately $12, including 200 pennies, was stolen sometime Saturday night from the clubhouse at the Monett Golf Course.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
July 31, 1959
* Gillioz Bank and Trust Company in Monett today purchased the $10,000 in sewer bonds that were sold by the city yesterday.
* Young stock growers in Lawrence County had an opportunity to exhibit their dairy, beef, hog and sheep projects at the fourth annual Junior Livestock Show held yesterday in Mt. Vernon.
FORTY YEARS AGO
July 31, 1969
* God and Country Awards in Boy Scouting were received by Monett brothers Ricky and Billy Medlin last Sunday.
* Monett firemen were called to extinguish a large grass fire four and a half miles southwest of Monett yesterday on property owned by Mrs. Freddy Vermillion and Mrs. John Childress.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
July 31, 1979
* A revised salary schedule providing for increases for nearly all regular employees of the City of Monett and for some hourly employees was adopted by the city council yesterday.
* A storm system which moved into the Monett area last night resulted in nearly two inches of rainfall by presstime today.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
July 31, 1989
* Plans for the 1989 Monett Pioneer Days celebration are taking shape, according to Victor Head, general chairman.
* Monett teachers Dee Stewart and Kay Johnson were honored as past presidents at the 25th anniversary meeting of the Southwest District Kindergarten Association held in Carthage recently.
TEN YEARS AGO
July 31, 1999
* A $4.8 million expansion project for Cox Monett Hospital was announced today by Greg Johnson, hospital administrator.
* All banks that were formerly NationsBank formally converted to branches of the Bank of America today, including the branch in Monett at 100 East Broadway.