EIGHTY YEARS AGO
July 30, 1929
* Officers of the Purdy Rebekah Lodge were installed Monday night. Mrs. J.E. Jenkins is district deputy president.
* Mr. and Mrs. C.W. Lehnhard of Monett, who are to leave for a tour of European countries, have been honorees at a series of informal bridge parties and dinners.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
July 30, 1949
* David Whitlock and Dale Prohaska have joined the staff of Whitlock-Lines, feed manufacturers, in Monett.
* The annual Stones Prairie ice cream social on the grounds of St. John's Lutheran Church northwest of Purdy will be held Sunday.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
July 30, 1959
* A truck loaded with 2,800 live broilers overturned on Highway 39 five miles south of Aurora this morning, caught fire and burned completely, killing all but 300 of the chickens.
* Leslie Mason of Monett has been named town chairman of the annual Girl Scout financial campaign. Mrs. W.I. Barnes will be his assistant.
FORTY YEARS AGO
July 30, 1969
* Sixty-seven young people from Barry and Lawrence counties won $1,141 in prize money in the annual Monett Junior Livestock Show held Saturday.
* Roger Fritz and Mickey Fulp of Monett High School took part in a summer institute in chemical engineering held July 20-26 at the University of Missouri at Rolla.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
July 30, 1979
* Jane Ray of rural Cassville, a student at the Monett Area Vocational Technical School, placed third in the nursing aid division at the national competition.
* A three-inch rainfall drenched the Monett area yesterday with heavier amounts reported in counties east of Monett where flash floods threatened low-lying areas.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
July 30, 1989
* Members of the 1989-90 varsity cheerleading squad at Monett High School this coming school year are Karla Harrison, Mary Cubel, Misty Sitton, Jennifer Shepherd, Lori Henderson, Katie Ast, Jennifer Kerr and Kyndall Van Eaton.
* Victor Head of Monett has been named as a public defender for the southwest Missouri area by Anne Hall, the new regional public defender.
TEN YEARS AGO
July 30, 1999
* Building a new office facility for the Barry County Health Department was targeted by the department's board of trustees as a new goal at the board's July meeting.
* The First United Methodist Church of Monett will host the International Bible Society's "Becoming A Contagious Christian" seminar on August 1.