EIGHTY YEARS AGO
July 29, 1929
* A reunion of relatives was held at the home of John Campbell, west of Purdy, on Sunday.
* G. Peyton Gulick, of Monett, was first violinist in a concert of the School of Fine Arts at Missouri.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
July 29, 1939
* A total of 18 blocks have been oiled and chatted in Monett in the last few weeks, greatly improving Monett streets.
* Mrs. L.B. Harrod of Monett entertained a number of friends at a quilting in her home on Wednesday.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
July 29, 1949
* White River at Beaver, Arkansas, is reported to be in perfect condition for any kind of fishing, according to Fuss Boillot's report for the coming week.
* Rev. Tommy Barrett, pastor of the Baptist Church in Verona, sustained burns while cleaning out the carburetor of his car with gasoline.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
July 29, 1959
* The Southwest District Conference of Parent-Teacher Association will be held October 21 at the First Presbyterian Church in Mt. Vernon.
* The fourth annual Junior Livestock Show, sponsored by the Mt. Vernon Boosters Club, will be held Thursday with more than $900 in premiums to be awarded to winners.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
July 29, 1979
* A public hearing on a proposed personal property tax levy of 95 cents on the $100 valuation for general fund purposes will be held at the Monett City Hall on Friday.
* The City of Monett has received a 190-page report from the Federal Aviation Administration on the proposed new airport at the former site of Friend Air Park.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
July 29, 1989
* Monett students attending the annual Summerscape program at Drury College in Springfield, designed to offer advanced students additional diversified learning experience, were Jay Apostol, Pat Garrett, Rebecca Conner, Anna Cubel, Becky Schelin and Janet Johnson.
* Band camp at Pierce City High School will begin July 31 and run through August 4, according to Jim Lanning, band director.
TEN YEARS AGO
July 29, 1999
* John Gripka has received a certificate of appreciation for completing 25 years with the Postal Service in Monett.
* The Missouri Department of Transportation is seeking public input on a proposal to reopen two bridges on Highway 97, approximately five miles north of Pierce City, to two-way traffic