SEVENTY YEARS AGO
July 24, 1939
* J.B. Black, president of the Barry County Bank, has mentioned he had found a document of the original deed executed by William Kerr deeding to Barry County about 50 acres of land which became the original town of Cassville.
* Francis Wallner, commissioner of the city streets in Monett, and a large crew were at work this morning resurfacing County Road on Marshall Hill.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
July 24, 1949
* Floyd Stewart, national vice president of the Jaycees, left today for Columbia to attend the state board meeting of the Missouri Junior Chamber of Commerce.
* Mrs. Anna Ray of Tulare, California, has arrived in Monett to visit her sister, Mrs. V.W. Bradford.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
July 24, 1959
* Glennon Bass was elected commander of Hobbs-Anderson Post 91 Monett American Legion for the coming year last night.
* Permission has been granted by the Missouri Service Commission to the railroad to discontinue passenger trains 309 and 310 between Monett and Wichita, Kansas.
FORTY YEARS AGO
July 24, 1969
* More than 60 young livestock breeders have entered the annual Monett Junior Livestock Show, scheduled for Saturday and sponsored by the Monett Chamber of Commerce.
* Members of the Monett Swimming Team and their coach, Sherill Maus, will leave tomorrow for Lamar for a swim meet.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
July 24, 1979
* More than 1,500 signatures were obtained on petitions circulated recently asking the Missouri Public Service Commission to grant approval for a new railroad crossing on the east end of Monett between Seventh Street and Thirteenth Street.
* Plans for the sixth annual Ernte Fest in Freistatt on the third weekend in August are nearing completion, sponsored by the Freistatt Lions Club.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
July 24, 1989
* The appointment of John Dalglish as associate pastor of Abundant Life Church of Monett has been announced by Pastor Mike Pruitt.
* Sixteenth annual Ernte Fest (Fall Festival) in Freistatt will be held in third weekend in August with German food, beer, polka playing, and much more in store.
TEN YEARS AGO
July 24, 1999
* A large showing of animals by area young people made for a successful Lawrence County Youth Fair this week.
* Kevin Graham in the men's division and Mary Stulka in the women's division won the closest to pin contests at the annual American Cancer Society Golf Tournament this year at the Monett Municipal Golf Course.