EIGHTY YEARS AGO
July 23, 1929
* Music pupils of Miss Medah Nordin gave a recital at the Monett Park Casino on Sunday.
* Mr. and Mrs. C.H. Main, Nora Walker, Dee Harrison and Evalin Main motored to Branson on Sunday.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
July 23, 1939
* Three youths who escaped the Mt. Vernon Jail on Tuesday were returned to jail after being captured while trying to hold up a filling station in Southwest City.
* Mr. and Mrs. Will M. Davis of Monett made a business trip to Reeds Spring and Crane on Friday.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
July 23, 1949
* A gathering of 125 boosters voted to petition the Missouri State Highway Commission to rebuild and realign Highway 60 from Billings to Monett as soon as possible.
* The City of Monett and Sportsmen's League plan to have the weeds and bank area surrounding the Sportsmen's Lake sprayed with insect-killing DDT late today or early tomorrow morning.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
July 23, 1959
* Sister Mary James, administrator of St. Vincent's Hospital since 1954, has been recalled to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She was been replaced by Sister Mary Clement.
* Ann Bentley and Patricia Alsbrook of Monett, delegates to Girls State sponsored by the American Legion Auxiliary, spoke to Auxiliary yesterday.
FORTY YEARS AGO
July 23, 1969
* Monettans were unanimous in expression of their amazement at the near flawless completion of one of man's oldest dreams, walking on the moon, when Neil Armstrong set foot on that celestial body.
* The improvement of a connecting route between Interstate 44 and Highway 60 in Barry and Lawrence counties has been added to the five-year program of the Missouri State Highway Commission.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
July 23, 1989
* Kammi Willis, president of the Street Survivors Car Club, said the eight annual Show and Shine will be held tomorrow at the Monett City Park.
* Wayne Sooter has been elected president of the Pierce City Festival Committee for next year.
TEN YEARS AGO
July 23, 1999
* Monett High School student Marlena Sweeney has been elected to the office of national vice president for the North Central region of the Future Business Leaders of America.
* Three days of top-notch music by some of the best in the business will begin today as the 10th annual Dry Valley Bluegrass Festival kicks off between Pierce City and Wentworth.