SEVENTY YEARS AGO
July 22, 1939
* Rev. Leo Perry, pastor of the Baptist Church in Monett, and Mrs. Hazel Thompson will represent Monett at the Baptist World Alliance to be held in Atlanta, Georgia.
* Mrs. V.A. Willey of Monett went to Springfield on Thursday to visit with some friends.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
July 22, 1949
* Special music for the rehearsal of the horseback squaredancers at the Monett Sales Company pavilion on Wednesday will be provided by the Ozark Valley Ramblers.
* Mrs. Addie Gates, 705 East Cleveland, slipped this morning when she stepped from the Seventh Street Grocery in Monett with an armload of groceries and broke her hip.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
July 22, 1959
* An automobile belonging to Bill Wilks, 606 Pearl in Monett, was stolen this morning, but was recovered an hour later.
* Construction of lateral sewers in the first of the recently formed sewer districts in Monett is expected to get underway in the near future.
FORTY YEARS AGO
July 22, 1969
* A small black purse containing currency, which was turned into The Times office last Saturday by Loyd Gentry of Aurora, was identified today by Linda Abramovitz of Pulaskifield.
* Monett City Council has taken under advisement the prospects of acquiring the 96.3 acre airport known as Friend Park.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
July 22, 1979
* Registration is continuing for the Monett Head Start Program, according to Lois Kooken, family services aide.
* Loyd Goodeyon was installed last night as the new commander of Hobbs-Anderson Post 91 Monett American Legion.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
July 22, 1989
* Jo Ellen Fielding was hired last night as high school counselor at Pierce City High School for the coming school year.
* A possible tragedy was averted yesterday when the screams of four youngsters trapped in the rushing waters of Kelly Creek in Monett were overheard by local businessman Jack Frost, who talked them through the ordeal until help could arrive.
TEN YEARS AGO
July 22, 1999
* Action on improving a sewer drainage problem at the Tyson Foods plant in Monett was undertaken at a special meeting of the Monett City Council yesterday.
* Enrollment is being completed for the 1999-2000 school year at the Southwest Area Career Center at Monett with several problems still open, according to Ted Dorton, director.