SEVENTY YEARS AGO
July 17, 1939
* Mr. and Mrs. Troy Hill just finished remodeling their home on North Central Street in Monett.
* Flossie Charles was the guest speaker at a meeting of the Triple L Class of the First Baptist Church in Monett held at the city park.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
July 17, 1949
* Reservations are needed from Monett residents for the U. S. Highway 60 Association meeting at the Monett City Park Casino next Wednesday.
* The Council of Monett Garden Clubs decided today that the six clubs in the council should make an effort in behalf of the "Fight Polio" campaign in the neighborhoods where garden club members live.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
July 17, 1959
* Contracts for paving, resurfacing and improving Highway 60 and Highway 71 west of Monett were awarded yesterday.
* Kay Parker and Carolyn Teel are Monett delegates to the Girl Scouting Roundup being held in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
FORTY YEARS AGO
July 17, 1969
* Prospects of acquiring a 98.3 acre airport by the City of Monett were discussed at a special meeting of the Monett Chamber of Commerce board of directors, representatives of the MIDC ands other local residents last night.
* Susan Hagar, 12-year-old niece of Mr. and Mrs. Russell Hagar of Monett, was selected Miss Majorette for Utah at a twirling contest last week.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
July 17, 1979
* Preparations for the 50th annual Monett Jaycee Carnival are nearing completion, with the event to be held at the Monett City Parking Lot, sixth Street and Broadway, this Wednesday through Saturday.
* Reports were heard on the "best year ever" in the county's Cancer Crusade at last night's meeting of the Barry County Unit of the American Cancer Society held in Cassville.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
July 17, 1989
* Jim Whittaker was re-elected president of the board of directors for Monett Senior Citizens Inc. on Monday.
* The adoption of a building code for the City of Monett is under consideration by the Monett City Council.
TEN YEARS AGO
July 17, 1999
* Abel and Grace Vega were commissioned as missionaries at a special Sunday service at the First Presbyterian Church in Monett.
* Jay Bierkortte was elected the new president of the Pierce City Municipal Library District yesterday.