EIGHTY YEARS AGO
July 15, 1929
* Mrs. Fred B. Kinnell of Monett was elected president of the Baptist Missionary union on Thursday.
* It was announced at a meeting of the Mt. Vernon City Council that the city square will soon be paved.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
July 15, 1939
* Mrs. Hubert Adams of Monett was hostess of the auction bridge club Wednesday. High scores were won by Mrs. A.G. Mayer and Mrs. Austin Wood.
* Eddie Dawson, son of Mr. and Mrs. Guy Dawson of Monett, was knocked unconscious for several minutes yesterday when he fell from a tree.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
July 15, 1949
* The St. Louis-San Francisco Railway Company (Frisco) will receive the National Safety Council's "Distinguished Service to Safety Award for 1948.
* Dick Fly has accepted a position at the Charley Robb Motor Company at 503 Broadway in Monett.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
July 15, 1959
* Collections in the Lawrence County Red Cross fund drive for 1959 came to $4,272.27, according to Norbert Obermann, chairman.
* Area Guernsey breeders are to hold a show July 20 at the William Davis farm near Monett with 25 classes of competition.
FORTY YEARS AGO
July 15, 1969
* Sergeant Charles Tate of the Monett Police Department has been promoted to assistant police chief by the Monett City Council.
* Jim Freeman reported good participation at the Lawrence County 4-H Demonstration and Judging Day in Mt. Vernon.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
July 15, 1989
* Silas Patterson of Monett has been accepted at the National Education Center's Arizona Automotive Institute campus for classes.
* Stacy Rogers was hired as bookkeeper by the Barry-Lawrence Ambulance District last night.
TEN YEARS AGO
July 15, 1999
* Derarle Butterfield was installed as the new president of the Purdy Lions Club last night.
* Former Lawrence County prosecutor and associate circuit judge Samuel C. Jones has announced his candidacy for the Republican nomination for Missouri attorney general.