SEVENTY YEARS AGO
July 9, 1939
* Leslie Grimes, who has been principal of Monett junior and senior high schools for the past eight years, has become superintendent of schools at Eureka in St. Louis County.
* Mr. and Mrs. F.L. Higgins of Monett will go to St. Joseph on Saturday to spend the weekend with their son, John Higgins.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
July 9, 1949
* Campbell's Shoe Store, operated by Mr. and Mrs. Lou Campbell at 411 Broadway in Monett, is now open for business.
* C.O. Claiborne, retired agent for the Frisco Railroad in Clinton, is enjoying a visit in Monett with his sisters, Mrs. Bert McCaslin and Stella Claiborne.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
July 9, 1959
* Mrs. G.E. Mitchell has been elected the new president of Hobbs-Anderson Post 91 Monett American Legion Auxiliary.
* Two Table Rock Reservoir bills were approved today by the House of Representative in Washington D.C.
FORTY YEARS AGO
July 9, 1969
* New stewardess for American Airlines is Andra Douthitt, daughter of Dr. and Mrs. Glenn Douthitt of Monett.
* John Hubbard of Cassville, a long time extension worker in southwest Missouri, has been named agronomy agent for the Kaysinger area and will transfer his headquarters to Stockton.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
July 9, 1979
* Monett's sales tax return check for this month will total $23,074.55, according to the Missouri Department of Revenue, an increase of $3,260.70 over last month's check.
* The annual Barry County 4-H Achievement Day has been scheduled for next Wednesday.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
July 9, 1989
* Ron Richardson, principal at Purdy High School the past two years and former teacher and coach at Monett, has been named principal at Cassville High School for next year.
* Signing of the contract for a Satellite Outpatient Clinic located within the Missouri State Rehabilitation Center in Mt. Vernon has been announced.
TEN YEARS AGO
July 9, 1999
* Monett Health Care Center has been selected as one of several long-term care facilities in southwest Missouri that will be toured next week by a delegation of state legislators.
* Heat and high humidity that Monett area residents have been enduring recently has prompted Cox Monett Hospital to issue some tips on how to cope with the weather.