SEVENTY YEARS AGO
July 8, 1939
* Mrs. Homer Squibb and Mrs. M. L. Cruise of Monett departed yesterday for Amory, Mississippi, where they will visit Mr. and Mrs. R.E. Hoover.
* Blanche Gillioz, Freda Kaase, Mrs. Mattie Lautaret and Mrs. Ruth Armstrong of Monett have left for an eight-day tour of New York City, including the World's Fair.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
July 8, 1949
* A big crowd estimated at 5,000 people enjoyed the fireworks display provided by Hobbs-Anderson Post 91 Monett American Legion.
* A committee of residents of the Cleveland Heights addition at the northwest edge of Monett called on the city council requesting better streets.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
July 8, 1959
* Monett's annual Fourth of July celebration, although sandwiched in between heavy showers, was termed an outstanding success.
* John Richardson, Danny Conner, Bobby Homes, David Hutchens, Linn Allan Weiss, Steven Crane, Rex Mourglia, Dick Hall, Skipper Smith, Donnie Jameson, Max Mourglia and Stephen Maus, of Monett Boy Scout Troop 38, left today for Camp Arrowhead for a week's camping activities.
FORTY YEARS AGO
July 8, 1969
* Mrs. Margaret Holle of Monett has been promoted to the new position of purchasing coordinator of Vaisey-Bristol Division of the United States Shoe Corporation.
* An impressive ceremony yesterday dedicated the Monett American Legion Post's war memorial at the entrance of the Monett City Park.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
July 8, 1979
* Plans for the third annual Purdy Bi-County Junior Livestock Show are complete with the event slated for Saturday.
* Thousands of area residents converged on the Monett City Park to observe the country's 203rd birthday with picnics, games, music, and other activities.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
July 8, 1989
* Rex Kay and Larry Nibert, co-chairmen of the Monett Chamber of Commerce agricultural committee, reviewed plans for the upcoming Junior Livestock Show at last night's Chamber board meeting.
* Confirmation of the beginning of the audit of the City of Purdy by the state auditor's office has been received by Purdy city officials.
TEN YEARS AGO
July 8, 1999
* A new map of airports in Missouri has been released by the Missouri Department of Transportation, and shows how the Monett facility compared to other airports in the state.
* Gail Brownsberger has been elected the new president of the Barry-Lawrence Regional Library board of trustees.