EIGHTY YEARS AGO
July 7, 1929
* Mr. and Mrs. W.A. Lassiter, Mr. and Mrs. Earl Spain and Mr. and Mrs. Roy Stolle of Monett picnicked in Galena on Sunday.
* Mr. and Mrs. G.D. Shreve and sons of Monett plan to leave next month for a visit with Mrs. Shreve's sister and family in Ponca, Nebraska.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
July 7, 1939
* Don Stocker, of Alton, Illinois, nephew of Will Stocker, jeweler in Monett, will travel with the Gilbert and Sullivan Opera Company this summer.
* Clifford Gray and Orbie Etter have taken over the management of the Sinclair Service Station at Broadway and Central in Monett.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
July 7, 1949
* Prize winners in Saturday's drawing in Monett were Virginia Leonard, Raymond Means, D.G. Leonard, E.W. Daugherty and Dell Robbins.
* Aviation Cadet James Huffman Jr. of Monett was awarded a commission as second lieutenant and his pilot wings in the United States Air Force Reserve at Enid Air Force Base, Oklahoma.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
July 7, 1959
* Total assets and deposits in the eight Barry County banks are up more than a million dollars each over last year, it has been reported.
* The Monett Merchants, reorganized for a one-game stand, will take on a Springfield team at the Jaycee Athletic Field tomorrow.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
July 7, 1979
* Mrs. Phyllis LeCompte has been employed by the Monett R-1 Board of Education as secretary-bookkeeper for the district.
* Barry County Shrine Club three-Wheelers took first place in the Shell Knob Independence Day Celebration Parade.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
July 7, 1989
* Grand opening of Kolar's Business Machines Inc. in its new location, 301 Kyler in Monett, will be held Thursday, according to Jay Minor, manager.
* Grand opening of Pierce City General Store, 104 West Commercial St., will be held Friday, owners Richard and Mary Blunden announced.
TEN YEARS AGO
July 7, 1999
* Stephen Hemphill, Barry County prosecutor, gave the main address at the annual Monett celebration of the Fourth of July at Monett South Park.
* Southwest Missouri Cable TV Inc., headquartered in Carthage and serving the Monett area, has been sold to TCA Cable TV Inc. of Tyler, Texas.