EIGHTY YEARS AGO
June 26, 1929
* Mr. and Mrs. W.T. Stocker and sons of Monett have gone to Wood River and Alton, Illinois, to visit with his brothers, Don and Roy Stocker.
* The posts and lights at the intersection of cross streets with Broadway in Monett are being removed by the city as a step towards getting Broadway designated as Highway 16.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
June 26, 1939
* The first of weekly Friday night band concerts was given last night at the Monett City Park by the Monett High School Band under the direction of L.E. Hummel.
* Willa Dean Goetz of Monett is in San Benito, Texas, enjoying a vacation with relatives.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
June 26, 1959
* The $485,000 special assessment bond issue for the purpose of constructing lateral sewer lines in Monett was approved by voters yesterday, 517 in favor to 47 against.
* Mrs. Jack Slater of the Monett Ladies Golf Association was named low gross winner and Mrs. Lobert Davis was named low net winner in the meet at the Grandview Golf Course in Springfield.
FORTY YEARS AGO
June 26, 1969
* Winds of tornadic velocity ripped through isolated sections of Monett and north Barry County last night, leaving considerable damage.
* Kenneth Medlin of Monett was sworn in as Seventh District commander at the annual Veterans of Foreign Wars Department Convention in Jefferson City last weekend.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
June 26, 1979
* Monett and Pierce City National Guardsmen are scheduled to return home today after two weeks of training at Fort Leonard Wood.
* Announcement was made today of the opening of Kirby Company of Monett at 217 East Broadway by Mr. and Mrs. Jim Kitchell.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
June 26, 1989
* A bid for the installation of new tartan surfacing for the floor of the elementary school gymnasium was accepted by the Purdy R-2 Board of Education last night.
* Theo Martinek in bowling, Phyllis Matheson in horseshoe pitching and Rose Murphy in bowling won medals at the annual Senior Fitness Days held in Springfield yesterday.
TEN YEARS AGO
June 26, 1999
* Car seats and booster seats are free to families who attend a training session on seat belt safety, according to Sue Burton, administrator of the Barry County Health Department.
* Citizenship awards have bene given to Alma and Fausto Villagrana of Monett by the Alexander McNair chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.