SEVENTY YEARS AGO
June 16, 1939
* Mr. and Mrs. R.O. Randall and son, Howard, of Monett, motored to Kansas City on Sunday to look after business matters.
* Mr. and Mrs. Chad Cowherd, 915 Fourth St. in Monett, will leave Friday for Fort Collins, Colorado, where they will attend summer school for the next 10 weeks.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
June 16, 1949
* The United States Senate has approved the nomination for postmaster at Purdy of Harold W. Harter.
* W.E. Spilman, finance clerk at the Monett Post Office, is enjoying his annual vacation from his duties.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
June 16, 1959
* Table Rock Dam, the $66 million project on the White River near Branson, will be dedicated tomorrow.
* Gusty winds which reached knockout proportions wreaked havoc in a limited area a few miles east of Shell Knob in southwest Barry County last night.
FORTY YEARS AGO
June 16, 1969
* A visit to the Marine War Memorial in Arlington Cemetery is part of the busy schedule of Debbie Dotson of Monett, who is spending the week in Washington D.C. as one of 92 Missouri high school juniors on the Youth Tour to Washington.
* Baton twirlers from throughout the Midwest will converge on Monett this weekend for the 16th annual American Legion baton twirling camp.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
June 16, 1979
* A $385,000 appropriation to build a new state school for the severely handicapped in Monett to replace the present facilities at the former Plymouth School was approved yesterday in Jefferson City.
* An ordinance annexing a parcel of land adjoining the Monett city limits at the north, the site of the Ozark Drive-In Theatre, was approved yesterday by the Monett City Council.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
June 16, 1989
* An all-day dedication of the new $370,000 runway at the Monett Municipal Airport is planned for this week.
* Three new nobles were welcomed at last night's meeting of the Barry County Shrine Club. They are Bart Kay, Greg Berens and John Fuldner.
TEN YEARS AGO
June 16, 1999
* Public Library Automation Grant award in the amount of $73,594 has been approved for a new library automation system for the Barry-Lawrence Regional Library.
* More than $49,000 has been received in the American Cancer Society's 1999 Relay for Life held in Monett.