EIGHTY YEARS AGO
June 12, 1929
* Mr. and Mrs. Walter Richard and Dorothy Linebarger of Monett spent Sunday in Pierce City visiting Mrs. Richard's mother, Mrs. George Burkhart.
* Miss Norman Spain and Jack Spain of Monett went to Aurora to spend the weekend with Mr. and Mrs. John Brougher.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
June 12, 1939
* Orville Wright, co-inventor of the airplane, took an airplane ride for the first time today for the first time in 10 years. Due to an injury he received in an airplane crash in 1908, he had not been flying in recent years.
* The fresh tomato shipments from Texas are now in full swing. It is estimated about 500 cars will pass through the Monett railroad terminal.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
June 12, 1949
* Contestants for the Strawberry Queen, to be decided at the Dome Theatre in Verona, are Roberta Calhoun, Mary Calhoun, Marlene Nissen, Fon Garner, Juanita Harris, Nina Ham, Wanda King and Carol Engler.
* Attending the charter night program at the Ava High School last night from the Monett Kiwanis Club were Charles Main, Will Stocker, Will David, Harold Schwandt, L.G. Jones, Bob Vogt and Jim Harrison.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
June 12, 1959
* Patricia Chapman, Marilyn Rupp and Leona Santee have entered as candidates for Miss Monett Maid of Milk and Dairy Festival Queen contests.
* Albert McIntyre, owner of Wormington Monument Works, has announced plans for further expansion of the firm at 201 Myrtle in Monett.
FORTY YEARS AGO
June 12, 1969
* A 25-cent increase in the Monett city tax levy for the current year was voted by the Monett City Council yesterday.
* Linda Arend of Monett left yesterday for Columbia where she will enroll for the summer term at the University of Missouri.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
June 12, 1989
* Jim Bass was elected president of the Monett Sportsmen's League at a quarterly dinner meeting last night.
* A petition seeking the annexation of about 30 acres of land contiguous to the present south city boundaries of Purdy has been filed, with a public hearing set for Monday.
TEN YEARS AGO
June 12, 1999
* Pops in the Park this Sunday in Monett will mark the conclusion of the Ozark Festival Orchestra's 1998-99 season.
* Terri and Chad Sigafus kicked off the Summer Reading Program at the branches of the Barry-Lawrence Regional Library last week with special performances.