SEVENTY YEARS AGO
June 11, 1939
* Seven men were at work today at the Monett City Park constructing a new reinforced concrete band stand at the northeast corner of the swimming pool.
* Marilyn Collier of Monett entertained a group of friends at her home. Games and contests formed the diversion.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
June 11, 1949
* Groundbreaking ceremonies are scheduled for tomorrow for the new memorial building being constructed by the American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars in Cassville.
* Floyd Stewart of the Monett Junior Chamber of Commerce is seeking the office of national vice president of the organization.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
June 11, 1959
* A total of 14 candidates have been entered so far in the queen contests of the 1959 Monett Dairy Day Festival, according to George Teuton, secretary of the Monett Chamber of Commerce.
* A total of 108 local boys and girls have registered to date for the annual American Red Cross water safety program this summer at the Monett Municipal Swimming Pool.
FORTY YEARS AGO
June 11, 1969
* Fire destroyed a hay barn and 700 bales of hay on the Garry Robbins farm, four miles southeast of Monett, on Saturday.
* Jen Henbest, Bobby Pinkley and James Shipman of Monett left today for Camp YoCoMo for a junior high camp of the Ninth District Disciples of Christ (Christian Church).
THIRTY YEARS AGO
June 11, 1979
* Construction is underway on the new office and operations facility for the Monett Gas Service Company with completion date set for September 1.
* Gift items and certificates valued at nearly $350, donated by local merchants, will be given away in a drawing tomorrow as part of the Monett Dairy Festival.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
June 11, 1989
* Gene Rice, who has been superintendent of the Marion C. Early Schools in Morrisville for the past five years, has been named the new superintendent at Pierce City.
* Wayne and Nancy Lesue have been named as managers of the Pierce City Municipal Swimming Pool for this summer.
TEN YEARS AGO
June 11, 1999
* Recognized as Women of Distinction by the Barry County chapter of Soroptmist International recently were Phyllis Melby with Lafayette House and Pauline Gage with the Monett Downtown Betterment Group.
* More than 50 young people tossed in lines Saturday at the Pierce City park lake to participate in the annual Pierce City Fishing Derby.