SEVENTY YEARS AGO
June 10, 1939
* T-bone steaks, from choice young beef, is advertised at 26 cents a pound at Davis Brothers Grocery and Market in Monett.
* The annual reunion of the Hoover family was held at the Monett Park, with a large attendance of local relatives and friends as well as many from out of town.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
June 10, 1949
* The home of Mr. and Mrs. Joe Pfitzner, four miles north of Verona on Highway P, was destroyed by flames early Tuesday.
* Mr. and Mrs. Milburn Walker and Mr. and Mrs. Glenn Geary returned to Monett last night from the Lions Club convention in Kansas City.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
June 10, 1959
* G.W. Gunter of Monett brought home three top prizes from the muzzle-loading rifle tournament over the weekend in Tulsa, Okla.
* Six hundred pounds of fish were hooked by 25 Pierce Citians who attended that city's annual fishing expedition at Johnson Hole near Forsyth last Thursday.
FORTY YEARS AGO
June 10, 1969
* May was an unusually dry month for the Monett area with only 2.42 inches of rain being measured. Normal rainfall in May is five and a half inches.
* Mr. and Mrs. Guy Whitlock and Mr. and Mrs. Al Gliedt of Monett were in Springfield on Sunday to attend the graduation of Bob Whitlock from Southwest Missouri State College.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
June 10, 1979
* Monett and Pierce City National Guardsmen will leave Saturday for Fort Leonard Wood to participate in two weeks of summer field training.
* A torrential rainfall at mid-morning today following on the heels of showers throughout the night filled Monett's storm sewer system to capacity.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
June 10, 1989
* Leroy Jirik was elected for a second term as commander of Hobbs-Anderson Post 91 Monett American Legion.
* Jim Ingle was elected to succeed Victor Head as president of the Monett Kiwanis Club yesterday.
TEN YEARS AGO
June 10, 1999
* Little Miss and Little Mister Yankee Doodle Dandy contest will highlight Cassville's Independence Day celebration at Memorial Park on June 25.
* The final phase in the widening of Business Highway 60 is expected to begin later this month, according to engineer Kevin Sprenkle.