SEVENTY YEARS AGO
June 4, 1939
* Members of the Double Seven Club in Monett enjoyed a wiener roast and dance Friday at the new home of Mr. and Mrs. Verne Hutchens.
* Lyle Black of Monett is enjoying a two-week vacation by his duties as wire chief at the Bell Telephone Company.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
June 4, 1949
* W.E. Spilman was named president of the Monett chapter of War Dads at the election at the American Legion Memorial Home.
* City linemen and electricians were busy today as work was pushed to repair the storm damage inflicted by last night's heavy rains.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
June 4, 1959
* Construction work has started on a new retail store for the Mitchell Manufacturing Company at 913 Broadway in Monett.
* Donnie Spradling and David Fly, billed as the Spider and the Fly, were featured at the regular meeting of the Monett Kiwanis Club yesterday.
FORTY YEARS AGO
June 4, 1969
* Dr. and Mrs. Ralph Scott, John, Richard, and Lisa, and John Carpenter, of Monett, spent last week visiting Six Flags in Dallas, Texas.
* Collections of city sewer charges incurred by residential, industrial and retail customers of Monett for the first time during the month of May will amount to $3,776.43.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
June 4, 1979
* An official new Monett High School flag has been received for the first time at the 1979 commencement exercises last week.
* Empire District Electric Company of Joplin was granted an increase of $897,000 in electric rates by the Missouri Public Service Commission.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
June 4, 1989
* Rev. Fred J. Weber has been named as pastor of Christ United Methodist Church in Monett, effective June 1.
* South Kyler Street in Monett is now open following completion of the major road improvements which began last December.
TEN YEARS AGO
June 4, 1999
* Taylor Banks was sworn in as the new president of Monett Middle School eighth grade class for the coming year at yesterday's MMS honors program.
* Ginger Witty, counselor at Monett High School, has announced that college preparatory camp will be held next week.