Back In The Good Old Days
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
June 3, 1939
* Mrs. Grace Tinker of Pierce City has returned from a six-month world cruise and reported having a wonderful time.
* Mrs. Bert Bradford of Monett, president of the Missouri Federation of Republican Women's Clubs, said all is ready for the state convention to be held in Monett.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
June 3, 1949
* G.S. Geary, Ray Roberts and Milburn Walker of the Monett Lions Club will attend the state Lions convention in Kansas City next week.
* Mrs. H.A. Gardner of Monett, retiring president of the Missouri Federation of Garden Clubs, has returned home following the national convention held in Portland, Oregon.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
June 3, 1959
* After a gala opening Saturday attended by over 300 swimmers at the Monett Municipal Swimming Pool, attendance fell off sharply as temperatures dipped and leaden skies threatened.
* Monett's summer baseball program for boys opened on a highly successful note last night at the Jaycee Athletic Field.
FORTY YEARS AGO
June 3, 1969
* A fire truck was called to the Bill Mitchell home, 1108 North 13th St., in Monett on Saturday when lightning struck nearby and ignited lint in a clothes dryer.
* Elaine Fellwock of Monett, a student at St. Paul's College in Concordia, has arrived to spend the summer with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Ray Fellwock in Monett.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
June 3, 1979
* Six candidates have registered for the Monett Dairy Festival Queen Contest in Monett.
* Jack Sigrist reported yesterday's quarterly visit of the Red Cross bloodmobile in Monett totaled 101 persons volunteering 97 units of blood.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
June 3, 1989
* Construction of a new $15 million pipeline, which will carry refined petroleum products from Lawrence County through Barry County and to northwest Arkansas, is now underway.
* Abundant Life Church in Monett will begin holding classes at a new location on Sunday and plans to open a Christian school in Monett this fall, according to Rev. Mike Pruitt.
TEN YEARS AGO
June 3, 1999
* Jacob Elrod and John Ellis of the Monett Cubs baseball team have been tabbed for all-conference honors in the Big 8 Conference.
* Routine girder repair work began Tuesday on the Route 97 bridge four miles south of Pierce City.