SEVENTY YEARS AGO
June 2, 1939
* Trevon McBride, picking berries in the White Oak community, was bitten by a copperhead snake. He was taken to the Aurora hospital.
* A pint of three-flavored brick ice cream is advertised at 10 cents at the Monett Drug Company.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
June 2, 1949
* A new season's heat record was set yesterday afternoon in Monett when the temperature rose to 91 degrees at 3 p.m.
* John Cline and David Whitlock of Monett were among the graduates at Drury College in Springfield on Monday.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
June 2, 1959
* The Ann Landers column, one of the most popular human relations columns in America, began appearing in The Monett Times today.
* A total of 110 new rural subscribers were added to The Times mailing lists during the first two weeks of May.
FORTY YEARS AGO
June 2, 1969
* British runner Bruce Tulloh jogged through downtown Monett yesterday on the 39th day of his cross country run which he hopes to complete in a record-setting 66 days.
* Barry County Telewriter system, which has been operating in all high schools in the county, will be terminated and not in use on a central office basis next year, it has been announced.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
June 2, 1979
* Barry County Youth Camp is now underway at Camp Soaring Hawk near Pioneer with about 90 children participating, according to Debbie Parker, camp director.
* A Chevrolet Camero, one of nearly 3,500 vehicles damaged on their way to a dealer showroom, has been donated to the Monett Area Vocational Technical School for use by students.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
June 2, 1989
* Several piano students from the studios of Anne Telschow, Joan Wooley and John Archer of Monett have registered as candidates for membership in the National Fraternity of Student Musicians.
* Billie Bounous, president of the Monett Adult Youth Council, was guest speaker at yesterday's meeting of the Monett Kiwanis Club.
TEN YEARS AGO
June 2, 1999
* Tom Beckett was installed as the new president of the Monett Lions Club at last night's installation banquet.
* Wayne Ribordy, of Topeka, Kan., recorded a hole in one at the Monett Municipal Golf Course, according to Pat Moore, manager