SEVENTY YEARS AGO
May 22, 1939
* Will M. Davis was re-elected president of the Barry County Sunday School Council at the meeting held Sunday at Gunter Church.
* Jo B. Gardner was guest speaker at the meeting of Chapter CN of PEO Sisterhood held at the home of Mrs. Solon Wright in Monett.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
May 22, 1949
* Members of the Southwest Missouri Veterinary Association converged on Monett yesterday for an all-day session held at Hatcher's banquet room.
* Mr. and Mrs. L.G. Jones of Monett left yesterday morning for a two week visit with relatives in Tucson, Arizona.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
May 22, 1959
* Phil Mulkey, son of Mr. and Mrs. Carl Mulkey of Route 2, Purdy, gets another crack at the national decathlon championship next month.
* Rose Martin, Genevieve Martin, and Ann Martin of Monett have returned from a three-week trip visiting relatives in St. Louis and Chicago, Illinois.
FORTY YEARS AGO
May 22, 1969
* Mrs. Evelyn Alyea was installed as the new president of the Monett Business and Professional Women's Club last night.
* Annual spring barbecue by the Monett Lions Club will be held tomorrow with club members serving chicken throughout the afternoon.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
May 22, 1979
* History and operations of the L.D. Schreiber Cheese Company were described by David Pozniak, personnel director, for members of the Monett Kiwanis Club yesterday.
* Eighth grade students graduating from St. Mary's School in Pierce City are Judy Baker, Philip Boes, Mary Cahalan, Kevin Fenske, Daryl Fenski, Diane Katzfey, Margie Miller, Vincent Parrigon, Mark Rakoski, Katrina Swift, Patrick Wagner and Gayle Witt.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
May 22, 1989
* Snyder Construction Company of Joplin submitted the low bid for major improvements to the intersection of 13th Street and Cleveland in Monett.
* Monett Middle School Principal Louis Hallam announced that Amy Holmes has been named the outstanding eighth grade student for the year.
TEN YEARS AGO
May 22, 1999
* The plan to erect a new branch building of the Barry-Lawrence Regional Library in Cassville received a big boost today when Barry County businessman Kenneth McGruder announced plans to donate $250,000 to the cause.
* Katrina Doss of Pierce City High School and Nicole Chapman of Mt. Vernon High School have been named delegates to Girls State by Hubert A. Kleiboeker American Legion Auxiliary Unit 419.