|When the warm weather comes, so does the question "When will the pool open?"||The Monett and Pierce City pools are on tap for a May 30 opening day with the Cassville Aquatics Center to open this Sunday, May 24.|
The Monett YMCA operates all three swimming pools, and YMCA members have free access to all of them, all summer long.
In addition, the YMCA offers seven levels of instruction to develop and refine swimming skills through its Learn-to-Swim program, which is available to children age 3 and older.
The following levels will be available for children age 3 to 5:
* Level One - Pike: At this level, children will be taught to develop safe pool behavior, adjust to the water and develop independent movement in the water.
* Level Two - Eel: This level is designed to teach children the basic elements of breathing, floating, treading water and crawl strokes.
* Level Three - Ray: At this level, skills learned from the previous levels are perfected, and swimmers will be introduced to more personal, safety skills and rescue skills.
The following levels will be available for children age 6 and older:
* Level One - Polliwog: At this level, children will be introduced to deep water safety, learn how to backstroke and front crawl 25 yards with a flotation device.
* Level Two - Guppy: Children at this level will be introduced to diving, learn how to backstroke and front crawl 25 yards and will be introduced to the breaststroke and the elementary backstroke.
* Level Three - Minnow: In this level, children will learn to perfect their diving, backstroke and breaststroke skills while building endurance. New strokes will also be introduced.
* Level Four - Fish: Swimmers at this level will continue practicing safety skills and perfect strokes while gaining more endurance.
The YMCA swim lessons are divided into four sessions, with classes at 10 a.m., 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. with each session to run from Monday through Thursday. The first session is scheduled to begin on Monday, June 8.
The YMCA swim lesson programs are designed to give everyone the chance to learn and succeed. Participants are grouped together based on their age and ability level, and the Y's core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility are incorporated into every lesson.
Additional swim classes available include:
* Aquasize - This is an energetic class for adults that is designed to increase cardiovascular endurance and strengthen and tone muscles by using the resistance of the water. Aquasize will have eight classes per session. Each of the four sessions will be held at 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday with the first session scheduled to begin on June 8.
|* Aqua Babies - In conjunction with the American Red Cross Infant and Preschool Aquatics Program (IPAP), this class is designed to help young children become comfortable in and around the water. This program will give parents information and techniques to help orient their children to the water and is available for children ages 6 months to 3 years.|
* GuardStart - This class is designed to provide a foundation of lifeguarding skills to youth ages 11 to 16 and provide an ideal transition between the Learn-to-Swim program and the American Red Cross Lifeguard training course.
Patrons can also work at their own individual level or skill by taking private swim lessons.
All YMCA swim lessons and classes will be held in the Monett South Park swimming pool and will last approximately 45 minutes.
Monett pool hours for open swim will be from 1 to 6 p.m. on Monday through Thursday, from 1 to 8 p.m. on Friday and Saturday and from 1 to 5 p.m. on Sunday.
Monett pool hours for lap swim are from noon to 1 p.m. on Monday through Friday and from 6 to 7 p.m. on Monday through Thursday.
The daily pool rate for the general public will be $3 for age 3 and older. Season pass rates will be $75 for an individual season pass and $175 for a family season pass, with both only valid at the Monett pool.
|Family night will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. on Saturday, and will be $5 per family or free with a family season pass.||The YMCA is a not-for-profit organization and provides financial assistance for up to 90 percent of program or membership cost.|
For more information, contact the Monett YMCA at 417-235-8213.