EIGHTY YEARS AGO
May 20, 1929
* Eddie Ryan and Logan McKee of Monett cycled to Exeter and back on Sunday, part of their training for the annual Tour of Missouri in June.
* Miss Sarah Adams of Monett went to Cassville yesterday to spend the weekend with Mrs. Jessalyn Manley.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
May 20, 1939
* Twenty-four young people were graduated from Monett Junior College on Thursday at the high school gymnasium.
* A severe wind and rain storm struck Monett this afternoon. Many trees were blown down and tree limbs were scattered over the streets.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
May 20, 1959
* Virginia Bremer was named valedictorian and June Lynn Skaggs was named salutatorian of the 1959 graduating class at Monett High School.
* Dr. Noel Harris was elected the new president of the Purdy Lions Club for next year at last night's meeting.
FORTY YEARS AGO
May 20, 1969
* A short in electrical wiring between Broadway and Front Street and Fifth and Sixth streets in Monett resulted in electric power being off for over an hour this afternoon.
* Master Sergeant Charles Albright, a 1953 graduate of Verona High School, has received his fourth award of the U.S. Air Force Commendation Medal in Taiwan.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
May 20, 1979
* Only principals attended a public hearing on a proposal for the annexation of a tract of land adjoining the Monett city limits at the north, held yesterday at city hall with no objections to the proposal recorded.
* Threats of a gasoline shortage took on new meaning for area residents this week as local stations began to feel the crunch of reduced allocations from their suppliers. Many pumps are posted with limitation of purchases to $5.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
May 20, 1989
* Rev. Charles D'Arcy was present to see tornadic winds rip through the Waldensian Presbyterian Church property south of Monett yesterday.
* Plans for a major improvement project for the Monett exchange of Southwestern Bell Telephone have been announced, with work to get underway next month and be completed in October.
TEN YEARS AGO
May 20, 1999
* A number of area veterans flocked to the Tom Wolfe Memorial Post 4207 Monett Veterans of Foreign Wars bingo hall yesterday for the Disabled American Veterans screening.
* Little Miss Liberty and Little Mister Liberty will be a new feature to this year's Fourth of July celebration in Monett, according to Shirley Quick of the Monett Festival Committee.