SEVENTY YEARS AGO
May 19, 1939
* Mrs. J.D. Higgins was the hostess last night when she entertained a dinner honoring 11 boys, members of the Monett High School graduating class who finished grammar school under sixth grade teacher Demmah Hamilton.
* Mr. and Mrs. H.E. Bradford of Monett and Mr. and Mrs. Vernon Bradford of Cassville were Sunday guests of Mrs. Mattie Gerrard and Mrs. Sultana Bailey.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
May 19, 1949
* Jack Howerton was honored as the year's outstanding athlete at Monett High School by the Monett Junior Chamber of Commerce at the Senior Awards Day ceremony.
* Scholarships were presented to Nolan Fritz, Martha Mermoud, John Eden, Mary Reynaud, Garry Robb, Marjorie Cuendet, Delores Huffmaster and Wilma Rittenhouse during Senior Awards Day.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
May 19, 1959
* Named as top students at Pierce City High School were Margaret Gatton, valedictorian, and Kenneth Kutz, salutatorian.
* Rev. M.E. Fitzpatrick of Kingfisher, Oklahoma, has accepted the pastorate at the Frist Baptist Church in Monett, succeeding Rev. Cleveland Horne.
FORTY YEARS AGO
May 19, 1969
* Nearly 300 persons attended the anniversary dinner at the Monett City Park Casino highlighting the 25th anniversary of St. Vincent's Hospital in Monett.
* Mr. and Mrs. R.E. Roberts and Mr. and Mrs. David Counts of Monett spent the weekend in Kansas City attending the annual Western Auto Toy and Gift Show.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
May 19, 1979
* Hired by the Monett R-1 Board of Education to teach next year at Monett High School were Vicki Orr, Bernice Wood and Thelma Abeln.
* A Show-De-O, sponsored by the Monett Saddle Club, is scheduled for Sunday at the Monett Saddle Club Arena, according to Joe England, club president.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
May 19, 1989
* Dedication ceremonies for the new $200,000 Monett Senior Citizens Center, 405 Dairy, will be held Sunday, according to Jim Whittaker, president of the senior citizen board of directors.
* The first POW/MIA flag now flies in Monett following dedication ceremonies Saturday at the home of Leo and Billie Wallace, 404 West County.
TEN YEARS AGO
May 19, 1999
* Jaime Saunders of Monett High School received the Best of Show honor at the Big 8 Conference Art Show held in Seneca.
* A Farmer's Market, offering a variety of homemade produce, will be held May 21 at the Monett Municipal Parking Lot, Broadway and Sixth Street.