SEVENTY YEARS AGO
May 18, 1939
* The Gillioz Motor Company in Monett unloaded a carload of new Plymouths at the Frisco freight dock Monday.
* The quarantine has been lifted from the home of Sonny McKee in Monett. He has been ill with scarlet fever and the mumps for several weeks.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
May 18, 1949
* Mrs. Ervin Floreth and Mrs. J. Austin Wood of Monett went to Aurora on Monday to attend the Aurora Music Club's final meeting of the year.
* Mack Turner, newspaperman from Oklahoma, will take over the duties of news editor of The Monett Times, and Neal Sheehan, who has been news editor, will become advertising manager, it has been announced.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
May 18, 1959
* Diane Evans will serve as majorette for the Monett High School Band next year. Twirlers will be Patsy Walton, Charlotte Robbins and Marilyn Shanks.
* High winds whipped through Monett this morning resulting in electrical power service being knocked out for 45 minutes, tree limbs being torn down and at least one huge tree being uprooted in the city.
FORTY YEARS AGO
May 18, 1969
* Alan Moore, six-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. J.T. Moore of Monett, will enter Children's Mercy Hospital in Kansas City tomorrow where he will undergo open heart surgery.
* Mrs. Jacqueline Lautaret of Edwardsville, Illinois, is visiting in Monett with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Waltrip.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
May 18, 1979
* Open house at the new home constructed by the building trades classes at the Monett Area Vocational Technical School will be held Sunday.
* Sally Shelton, former Monett resident, has been appointed the new U.S. ambassador to Barbados by the U.S. Senate.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
May 18, 1989
* Leading the 39 graduates of the 1989 graduating class at Purdy High School tomorrow night as they march into the gym for commencement will be three graduates of the 1919 class. They are Rena Seth, Roscoe Eden and Thelma Williams.
* Raging forest fires last year in the western part of the country were described by Rick Linebarger of the U.S. Forest Service at yesterday's meeting of the Monett Kiwanis Club.
TEN YEARS AGO
May 18, 1999
* Open house for the new emergency Care Center at Aurora Community Hospital in Aurora will be held May 25 at the hospital.
* Property owners in Barry County will soon be receiving notices of the new updated values, according to Glen Nicoll, assessor of Bary County.