EIGHTY YEARS AGO
May 15, 1929
* Mrs. T.P. Caple and Mrs. Stephen Brittenham and children of Monett went to Neosho to attend the eighth grade graduation exercises.
* Mr. and Mrs. D.C. Blakeslee of Monett will leave tonight for Long Beach, California, where they will visit their sons and nephew.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
May 15, 1939
* Hawaii was the theme of the junior-senior banquet of Monett High School held last night at the City Park Casino. More than 152 members of the two classes and faculty attended.
* Mr. and Mrs. R.L. Cline and children of Monett will leave Saturday for New York City to attend the World's Fair.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
May 15, 1959
* Top students scholastically at Monett High School this year are Carol Osterloh, Judy Rains, Carolyn Schelin, Mary Ellen Sullivan, Sue Guthrie, June Skaggs, Linda Jones, Virginia Bremer, Ronnie Wolfe, James Garoutte and Mike Garrett.
* Drum Corps twirlers at Monett High School for next year are Glenda Woods, Carol Balmas, Judy Cole and Rosa Frost.
FORTY YEARS AGO
May 15, 1969
* Among the candidates for degrees from the School of the Ozarks at commencement exercises on May 25 is Eric Thomas Spyres, son of Mr. and Mrs. Eric C. Spyres of Monett.
* Eighth grade valedictorian at Trinity Lutheran School in Freistatt is Louanna Schoen and salutatorian is Sammy Osterloh.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
May 15, 1979
* The engine compartment of a 1976 Jeep owned by Colin Young of Purdy was heavily damaged by fire which occurred last night at the junction of Highways 37 and 60.
* Announcement of the purchase of land north of Butterfield by Hudson Foods Inc. of Rogers, Arkansas, as the site for a new manufacturing plant for broiler and turkey feed is made by James T. Hudson.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
May 15, 1989
* Jack Williams and Karyn Pittsenbarger, seniors at Monett High School, have received the highest band awards last night at the annual Gala Spring Concert in the E. E. Camp Gymnasium.
* Eighth grade promotion ceremonies are slated for Thursday for Purdy R-2 schools with Dr. Sheldon Buxton, superintendent, to bring the message.
TEN YEARS AGO
May 15, 1999
* Eighth graders Emily VanDegrift has been named valedictorian and Jeffrey Moennig was named salutatorian at Trinity Lutheran School in Freistatt.
* Employees returned to work today at the Ducoa plant in Verona, according to a spokesman at the plant, after employees yesterday rejected a proposed contract.