NINETY YEARS AGO
May 13, 1919
* Osborn Brown has returned to Monett from several years overseas after receiving his honorable discharge from the military service.
* Dot Fly, Mary Yokum, Pearl Vermillion, and Clara Vaughn of Monett went to Aurora on Tuesday to visit friends.
EIGHTY YEARS AGO
May 13, 1929
* Oliver Smith was elected captain of the basketball team and William Exposito was chosen to lead the baseball team in Monett.
* Highway 44 between Anderson and Wheaton was opened Friday following the completion of a temporary bridge over Indian Creek.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
May 13, 1959
* Joe Harrison was elected president of the Monett Lions Club at the regular meeting of the club held last night.
* Mrs. Landon Jenkins of 719 Frisco in Monett was re-elected president of the Monett Parent Teachers Association.
FORTY YEARS AGO
May 13, 1969
* Gary Klingsporn was named valedictorian and Suzanne Meier was named salutatorian at Monett High School for this year's graduating class.
* Graduating from the eighth grade at Trinity Lutheran School in Freistatt were Louanna Schoen, Sammy Osterloh, Connie Ray, Carol George, Donald Bracht, Ross Mattlage, Mike Doss, Leland Doss and Bobby Moennig.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
May 13, 1979
* Betsy Garrett, daughter of Mrs. John Roth of Monett and a 1971 graduate of Monett High School, received her doctorate of medicine degree from the University of Missouri today.
* Over 100 local girls have registered for the 1979 Monett Girls Softball Program, sponsored by the Monett Jaycee Wives.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
May 13, 1989
* Two suspected cases of measles involving local high school students have prompted Dr. Thomas Kurucz, superintendent, to issue an alert to R-1 school parents.
* David Samuel, pastor of New Liberty United Methodist Church, has announced an all-day Mothers Day service for this Sunday.
TEN YEARS AGO
May 13, 1999
* Kim Brown and Amber Moennig have been named co-valedictorians and April Mattlage has been named as salutatorian at Pierce City High School this year.
* Lawrence County Health Department, in conjunction with Traffic Safety Alliance of the Ozarks and Safe Kids, will sponsor a free car seat safety check on May 17.