NINETY YEARS AGO
May 11, 1919
* James Scott Johnson, of Monett, of the 12th Engineers, who recently arrived in the United States from France, was sent to Camp Taylor, Kentucky, to be mustered out of the service.
* Mrs. W.E. Hendricks of Monett departed Friday night for Mindenmines and different points in Kansas to visit relatives.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
May 11, 1949
* Gail Stewart of McGehee, Arkansas, has been employed by the Monett school board as girls physical education instructor at the high school for the next school term.
* Mary Reynaud has been named valedictorian and Marjorie Cuendet has been named salutatorian of the 1949 graduating class at Monett High School.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
May 11, 1959
* Margaret McCord, a senior and salutatorian of the graduating class at Verona High School, has been awarded an Elbridge A. Stuart Scholarship for next year's school term at Southwest Missouri State College in Springfield.
* Twenty-eight Monett High School students left this morning by chartered bus for a three-day trip to New Orleans, Louisiana, for the annual senior class trip.
FORTY YEARS AGO
May 11, 1969
* Nadine Crawford and Jack Carr were the recipients of the annual Theron Bennett Memorial Fine Arts Scholarships at Pierce City High School.
* Fireman Apprentice Billy Gates, United States Navy, son of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Gates of Monett, is serving aboard the nation's newest attack aircraft carrier, the USS John F. Kennedy.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
May 11, 1979
* Cost containment efforts, which have been initiated by St. Vincent's Hospital in Monett in an effort to hold down health care costs, were reviewed for the Monett Kiwanis Club today by Sister Marita Pozek, administrator.
* City motor vehicle license tax stickers for 1979 will go on sale May 15 at the office of Collector Ralph Hull in the city hall at Monett.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
May 11, 1989
* Stephanie Chapman was named valedictorian and Annette Kutz was named salutatorian for the 1989 graduating class at Pierce City High School.
* Wilma Wood, school nurse at Mt. Vernon, discussed the health screening program at the elementary school in Mt. Vernon at last night's meeting of the Freistatt Lions Club.
TEN YEARS AGO
May 11, 1999
* May 21 was set as the deadline for the purchase of personalized bricks to be set in downtown Monett sidewalks as part of the downtown project.
* Four grants and donations have helped the Verona Fire Department purchase a new automated external defibrillator machine.