NINETY YEARS AGO
May 8, 1919
* Mr. and Mrs. Gus Doennig and children, who have been in Thermopolis, Wyoming, for several months, have returned to Monett to make their home.
* Miss Fairy McCormick of Monett entertained members of the Westminster Guild at a "youngsters" party.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
May 8, 1939
* Mrs. Arthur Lassiter of Monett is spending the week in Diamond visiting her parents, Mr. and Mrs. W.L. Bradley.
* Edward Russey, a senior at Monett High School, has been awarded the Grace Wyatt Patterson Trophy for having rendered the most valuable service to the community musically last year.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
May 8, 1949
* Applying for the position of secretary of the Monett Chamber of Commerce are Dick Kaufman, Shorty Roberts, Floyd Stewart, Gaylan Bethine, and Frederick Amelung.
* The first 1949 carload of southwest Missouri strawberries rolled through Monett last night on its way to Cleveland, Ohio, from Exeter, according to Jim Sapp of Exeter, president of the Southwest Missouri Strawberry Growers Association.
FORTY YEARS AGO
May 8, 1969
* Named this week as Student of the Month at Monett Junior High School was Mark Stewart, a seventh grader.
* Two Monett High School graduates will be speakers for the 1969 graduating class at Monett High School. They are Brig. General Ralph Hallenbeck, who will deliver the commencement address; and Rev. David Fly, Episcopal chaplain at Southwest Missouri State College in Springfield, who will be the speaker at baccalaureate.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
May 8, 1979
* A record 19 persons, referrals from courts in Cassville, Mt. Vernon, Monett, Miller and Aurora, have recently completed 10 hours of alcohol education in the Alcohol Related Traffic Offenders Program.
* Bid opening for the Monett water improvement programs, to include the drilling of a new city well, was held yesterday with eight construction firms submitting bids on various sections of the project.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
May 8, 1989
* Second Ward Alderman Jesse Cooper was appointed the new mayor of Purdy last night, succeeding Don Garrison, who resigned after being elected in April.
* Rhonda Sperandio was installed as president last night of the Ladies Auxiliary to Tom Wolfe Memorial Post 4207 Monett Veterans of Foreign Wars.
TEN YEARS AGO
May 8, 1999
* Technology expert Tim Lauer of Portland, Oregon, recently showed Monett teachers how to design a Web page and apply it to teaching in workshops at Monett High School.
* The west entrance into Monett High School appears bound to turn into a city street, free of speed bumps, in an extension discussed and approved last week at the monthly meeting of the Monett Tax Increment Financing Commission.