By DARLA DAMRILL
|The Monett Police Department and the Lawrence County Sheriff's Department will be participating in a "You Drink & Drive, You Lose" campaign targeting drivers under the influence of alcohol and other drugs.||The statewide crackdown with increased enforcement will begin on Friday, May 1 and continue through Sunday, May 3.|
According to law enforcement officials, 243 people died in more than 7,780 alcohol-related traffic crashes in 2007, resulting in a death or injury every 1.7 hours.
|"It's never worth the risk to drive while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Drivers could lose their license, pay large fines or worst of all, cause a tragic loss of life," said Monett Police Chief Tim Schweder.|
Authorities offer the following tips for citizens to be part of the solution:
* Don't risk it. If you plan to drive, don't drink.
* Encourage safe driving behaviors among family, friends and co-workers.
* Choose a designated driver before going out. A designated driver is someone who drinks NO alcohol at all.
* Call a cab or ask a friend to drive you home.
* Party hosts should include alcohol-free beverages.
* Report impaired drivers to law enforcement.
* Always wear your safety belt -- it's your best defense against an impaired driver.
For additional information on impaired driving, visit www.saveMOlives.com.