By DARLA DAMRILL
In a continuing effort to reduce the sale of alcohol to minors, the Division of Alcohol and Tobacco Control recently conducted random alcohol compliance checks at eight businesses in Lawrence County.
Gene Lacy, supervisor for the Missouri Division of Alcohol and Tobacco Control, reported the investigations resulted in charges against three individuals for selling liquor to a minor.
In addition, the retail locations where the alcohol was sold to the undercover minor will face possible fines and/or suspension of their liquor licenses.
Those facing charges are:
* Jamee Valentine, age 51, Stop N Shop, 12596 Highway 39, Mt. Vernon.
* Jessica Misner, age 21, George's Store, 103 Pin Oak St., Aurora.
* Ben Britain, age 31, Pace's Kwik Stop, 311 N. Highway 39, Miller.
The retail locations that did not sell alcohol to the undercover minor were:
* Route 66 Tavern, 12221 Highway 96, Miller.
* Don's Crossroads, Highway 39 & 96, Miller.
* Hot Spot #3, 548 N. Spring Park Blvd., Mt. Vernon.
* Superior Food Mart, 429 W. Church, Aurora.
* Price Cutter #15, 708 S Elliott, Aurora.
"These establishments and their employees are the first line of defense in the battle against underage drinking," Lacy said. "We praise them for their continued efforts to make Missouri a safer and healthier place for our youth."
Each case in which a charge was filed is merely an accusation and the defendant is presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty.