SEVENTY YEARS AGO
April 7, 1939
* Below freezing temperatures in the Monett area this morning injured such fruits as peaches, pears and plums.
* Raymond Davis was appointed president of the Monett board of education and L. G. Jones Jr. was named vice president.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
April 7, 1949
* The rooming house for Frisco porters at 310 1/2 Broadway and the McKee-Sheehan Drug Store, 310 Broadway, in Monett, were extensively damaged by fire this morning.
* The Frisco ladies softball team met yesterday at the ball diamond on Marshall Hill in Monett for its first practice session, according to Mrs. H.C. Harrison, chairman of the women's athletic committee of the Frisco Employee Club.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
April 7, 1959
* Nominees for student body president at Monett High School next year include John Garrett and Pat McIntyre.
* For the third consecutive year, John DeBross, son of Mr. and Mrs. Sherman DeBross of Monett, has qualified for the annual National Debate Tournament at West Point, New Jersey.
FORTY YEARS AGO
April 7, 1969
* Bill Lamberson, son of Mr. and Mrs. Joe Lamberson of Wheaton, was featured in yesterday's edition of the Springfield News and Leader, calling attention to the outstanding contributions made by a vast majority of college students as opposed to the small group of students who create a poor image.
* Debbie Dotson, a junior at Monett High School, was selected Saturday as one of two area winners in the annual "Youth of Washington" essay and speech contest sponsored by Ozark Electric Cooperative.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
April 7, 1979
* The Petal Pushers Garden Club of Monett has donated an eight-foot red maple tree planted this week in the Monett City Park in observance of Arbor Day.
* The 1979 Elementary Intramural Track Program is scheduled to get underway Saturday with sessions to be held each Saturday morning through May 12.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
April 7, 1989
* Dennis Harner, son of Mr. and Mrs. Gary Harner of Monett, has been named an All-American Scholar by the U.S. Achievement Academy.
* Announcement of plans to open Animal Clinic of Monett on Highway 37 North was made today by owners Ted and Carol Dahlstrom, doctors of veterinary medicine.
TEN YEARS AGO
April 7, 1999
* Ground was officially broken yesterday for a new $1.8 million addition to the Miracle Recreation Equipment plant on Highway 60 in Monett.
* The 28th annual Barry County 4-H Carnival is scheduled for this coming Saturday at the Purdy Elementary School Gymnasium, according to Tim Smith, youth education assistant with University Extension in Barry County.