EIGHTY YEARS AGO
April 6, 1929
* R. C. Farrow, Monett park commissioner, reports that the equipment has been placed in the children's park and is ready for youngsters to enjoy.
* The Kemper Band, of which Jo Gardner of Monett is a member, is scheduled to make a radio broadcast tonight.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
April 6, 1939
* The mercury took a dip yesterday and went down to freezing last night in the Monett area. Ice was frozen in outdoor receptacles.
* Princess Elizabeth, who will be 13 years old on April 21, made her debut in Britain's international royal society at a luncheon party today.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
April 6, 1959
* Natural gas service is now available for the first time for residents of Verona and Freistatt, it has been announced.
* Mike Garrett, a senior at Monett High School, won a $300 scholarship to the Inspiration Point Fine Arts Colony at Eureka Springs, Arkansas, at a vocal audition held in Springfield.
FORTY YEARS AGO
April 6, 1969
* First place winner in the annual Dogwood Trails Girl Scout essay contest was Jan Avondet, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Avondet, of Monett.
* Construction is well underway on buildings at Eighth Street and Broadway in Monett to house two new retail stores.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
April 6, 1979
* Construction on an addition to the Camden Health Care Center in Monett got underway this week. It is expected to double resident capacity.
* Little damage resulted from relatively heavy frosts of the last two night, according to Richard Prewitt, area agronomy specialist with the Missouri Extension Service.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
April 6, 1989
* Jim Fertig was named Legionnaire of the Year by Hobbs-Anderson Post 91 Monett American Legion.
* A rural public water district to service a 104 square mile area of northern Barry County and southern Lawrence County received overwhelming approval in yesterday's election.
TEN YEARS AGO
April 6, 1999
* Rod Anderson, Jerry Blankinship, and Scott Beckwith were elected yesterday to the Monett R-1 Board of Education.
* Election commander of chapter 64 of the Disabled American Veterans in Monett was Charles Thomas.