The Barry County Health Department will celebrate National Public Health Week during the week of April 6 with a host of health education activities.
The 2009 National Public Health Week theme is "Building the Foundation for a Healthy America" and the Barry County Health Department plans to promote that message to area citizens.
"Locally, the Barry County Health Department helps build the foundation of good health by performing restaurant inspections, posting no smoking signs, water testing, wastewater permitting, childcare and lodging inspections, immunizations clinics, immunizations, access to some health care services, health education and nutrition classes," said Kathleen King, health department administrator.
From April 6 through April 12, the local health department, with offices in Monett and Cassville, will be providing free water testing, reduced cost cholesterol and blood sugar screenings as well as nutrition classes, community CPR classes and food safety classes.
The schedule of events is as follows:
* April 6 - 9: Free well water sampling for coliform and E-coli bacteria. This service is available to individual homeowners or renters and is available only at the Cassville office.
* April 6 - 10: Reduced cost ($5) cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugar screenings at both the Monett and Cassville offices.
* April 4: Friends and Family CPR class from 9 to 11 a.m. at the Cassville location. To register call 417-847-2114. A $5 nonfundable deposit is required.
* April 6: Friends and Family CPR class from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Monett location. To register call 417-847-2114. A $5 nonfundable deposit is required.
* April 7: Temporary food safety class offered from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. at the Cassville office. To register, call 417-847-2114.
* April 13: A ServSafe course offered from 9 a.. to 5 p.m. at Grant's Restaurant in Monett. To register, call 417-847-2114.
Throughout April, the Barry County Health Department will focus on the following topics during its WIC classes: Healthy Snacks for Kids; Postpartum Nutrition; Formula Preparation, Composition and Storage; and Smoking and Substance Abuse for Pregnant Women.
Nutrition classes will also be offered at both the Monett and Cassville health department locations during April. Organ donation information will also be made available at both locations.
|For more information about any of the Public Health Week activities, contact the Barry County Health Department in Monett at 354-8686 or in Cassville at 417-847-2114.|