* Belief that Britain is ready to fight as Germany marches against Poland gained ground tonight in diplomatic and other informed circles.
* Mrs. Doran Combs, of Monett, went to Aurora on Wednesday to visit Mrs. Jim Binion and her daughter.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
March 31, 1949
* Dr. James Russell and Dr. William West, both of Monett, were honored this week by the Missouri State Medical Association for having served and remained active in the medical profession for over half a century.
* The City of Monett has employed Jess Skouby to saw off the parking meter poles which have been of little value since the meter heads were removed nearly a year ago.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
March 31, 1959
* A total of 104 junior and senior high school students at Monett have qualified for the honor roll at the end of the third quarter, according to Wayne Wright, principal.
* Annual physical demonstration night will be presented Thursday in the new gymnasium with students in the physical education classes taking part.
FORTY YEARS AGO
March 31, 1969
* Mrs. Vivian Rauch, of Monett, has been named production coordinator for the Miss Neosho Scholarship Pageant set for April 12.
* Mary Louise Fritz, a senior at Monett High School, has received the highest degree in high school speech, the Degree of Distinction in the National Forensic League.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
March 31, 1979
* Fundraising campaign for Purdy High School students who received first place at the National Future Farmers of America Dairy Cattle contest was launched Wednesday.
* An engraved plaque was presented to Wilma Henbest, managing editor of The Monett Times, for her work in reporting American Legion activities and programs.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
March 31, 1989
* The 54,000 square foot factory of Juvenile Shoe Corporation in Aurora will close in May as part of the company's restructuring plan.
* Rhonda McGlothlin, a senior at Monett High School, was named winner of the Seventh Congressional District "Discover Early America" map contest.
TEN YEARS AGO
March 31, 1999
* Monett City Council yesterday adopted the new city budget and established new water and sewer rates for the first time in 13 years.
* Fifteen wrestlers from the Monett Youth Wrestling Club qualified for state competition last weekend at the regional tourney held in Nevada.