EIGHTY YEARS AGO
March 30, 1929
* The choir of the First Baptist Church will give an Easter cantata on Sunday. J. Percy Johnson will direct the effort.
* "The Dawn Of Easter" will be given by the choir of the First Presbyterian Church in Monett on Sunday. Organist will be M.C. Shipley.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
March 30, 1939
* Clark Gable and Carole Lombard were married at Kingman, Ariz., today. Gable will now resume work on the film "Gone With The Wind."
* The Clark Circus will be on the grounds on East Broadway in Monett this week, and the circus on a train will be located on the Frisco tracks at Fifth Street and Front.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
March 30, 1959
* Don Crossland Motor Company, at 13th Street and Broadway in Monett, has announced the firm is an authorized dealer for the Comet Mobilehome.
* Rolland Wimberley, of 73 Fifth St. in Monett, has accepted the position of accountant with Friend Tire Service.
FORTY YEARS AGO
March 30, 1969
* Raymond Krueger, a junior at Monett High School, placed third in the half-mile run in the State Indoor Track Meet last night in Columbia.
* Monett Jaycee Shooting Education Program resulted in awards to Kyle Bounous and Sandra Shimizu for outstanding participation, Terry Anderson for high firing score, and Danny Friend for high test and high firing score.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
March 30, 1979
An undetermined amount of change was reported taken from vending machines at Hudson Foods, 100 Main St., in Monett yesterday.
Swinging Country, a four-piece band from the Monett and Pierce City area, took a first place trophy at a performance Saturday in Springfield.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
March 30, 1989
Student officers elected at Monett High School for the 1989-90 year were Pat Garrett, president; Kenny Estes, vice president; Kimberly Cruz, secretary; and Jason Van Eaton, treasurer.
Eugene Field School, which served Monett children from 1901 to 1905, has been a home for Monett families ever since and is the only turn-of-the-century school building in the city still in use. Built by L. A. Mason, the building is located at 602 East Benton and is now the home of Roscoe and Marie Redmon.
TEN YEARS AGO
March 30, 1999
Qualifying to compete at the national meeting of the National Forensic League from Monett High School were Marlena Sweeney, Molly Schmit, Matt Brock, Cristy Bennett, and Erin Singleton.
No major problems were found in the operations of the City of Verona by state auditors, who unveiled the results of a petitioned audit last night.