SEVENTY YEARS AGO
March 27, 1939
* Mr. and Mrs. Davis, who moved to Monett recently from Kansas City, have leased the apartment of Clyde McKee at 410 Fifth St.
* Mrs. Milburn Walker, of Monett, who underwent a major operation Monday in Springfield, is reportedly getting along well.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
March 27, 1949
* New officers of the Frisco Employees Club in Monett are: Carl Wise, president; Lester Biggerstaff, vice president; E. M. Jerome, second vice president; Ralph Waltrip, treasurer; and Mrs. Pearl Lewis, secretary.
* The Melodizing Matthews Quartet will appear in person as guest stars of a concert at Purdy High School on Saturday.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
March 27, 1959
* Fulton Smith, of 466 West Wishart, Monett, ended his career with the Frisco Railroad after 49 years on the job as he has retired.
* Named as new Monett High School cheerleaders after tryouts were Linda Davidson, Francine Wallner and Jeannie Ann Pilant.
FORTY YEARS AGO
March 27, 1969
* President Dwight D. Eisenhower died at noon today in Walter Reed Army Hospital in Washington, D. C.
* The nationally known All American Red Heads girls basketball team will play at Purdy High School on April 5, sponsored by the Purdy Future Teachers of America.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
March 27, 1979
* Construction is progressing on the new meeting house for the Monett Ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, located on Highway 37 south of Monett.
* Monett Electric and Water Department has been awarded first place in its size category for its outstanding 1978 safety record in a national contest.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
March 27, 1989
* Bids for repairs to the livestock pavilion on County Road are being accepted by the board of directors of the Monett Chamber of Commerce.
* Announcement of plans for the closing of Jarecke Pharmacy, effective April 8, has been announced by owners West and Bonna Jarecke.
TEN YEARS AGO
March 27, 1999
* Barry County has had the largest number of fatal accidents worked by the Missouri State Highway Patrol in southwest Missouri during 1999, it has been announced.
* There were hugs for all at the Monett Women of Today's annual Easter Egg Hunt held last Sunday at Monett South Park.