SEVENTY YEARS AGO
March 24, 1939
* The $5,000,000 suit filed by Jack Hays, former film producer and director, on the grounds that he first discovered Shirley Temple, was dismissed yesterday.
* Mrs. Joseph Rowell entertained a group of youngsters at her home Tuesday, honoring her young son, Charles Joseph, on his fourth birthday.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
March 24, 1949
* Tryouts for the annual Monett High School senior class play are being conducted this week. The class will present the three-act play "One Foot In Heaven."
* No matter how dire predictions the weatherman might have made, spring is definitely here. The temperature at noon today in Monett was 68 degrees.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
March 24, 1959
* Danny Moseley, son of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Moseley, of Monett, has been elected vice president of the state Christian Youth Fellowship Commission.
* Darrell Cottingham and Bob Lane, of Monett, captured first place in the doubles event at the annual Lebanon Bowling Tournament.
FORTY YEARS AGO
March 24, 1969
* Mrs. Muriel Belch, of Pierce City, who fractured her arm Thursday, entered Burge Protestant Hospital in Springfield for surgery.
* Seventy-five area children between the ages of 3 and 6, received tree amblyopia screening tests Saturday, sponsored by the Monett Jaycees, the Jaycee Wives and the Better Vision Institute.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
March 24, 1979
Opening season of the Regional Firefighters Training Academy will be held this weekend at Monett High School with firefighters from throughout southwest Missouri participating.
Proposed budget for the City of Monett for the 1979-80 year has been completed by the Monett City Council and will be considered for adoption following a public hearing Friday.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
March 24, 1989
Bill Botzow, past president of the Monett Lions Club, has been elected as lieutenant governor of Lions International District 26E of Missouri.
Monett Emergency Management Coordinator Gene Mulvaney has been awarded a certificate by the State of Missouri Emergency Management Agency after completing a three-day course in Jefferson City.
TEN YEARS AGO
March 24, 1999
Giving an outline for an emergency plan, Candy Adams from the State Emergency Management Administration led a discussion on making preparations against a disaster in Purdy at a meeting Tuesday.
Recreation Department director Kermit Daniel was named by Monett Mayor Jerry Fulp to take over as course manager at Monett Municipal Golf Course.