EIGHTY YEARS AGO
March 23, 1929
* H.I. Bradford is closing out his furniture business in Monett and the first of a series of auction sales will be held Friday.
* The Business and Professional Women's Club in Monett closed their charter with 57 members at their meeting at the Broadway Hotel.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
March 23, 1939
* Frosted malts, delicious and nutritious, are advertised at five cents and 10 cents at the Brown Gables in Monett.
* Milsap's Store in Monett said new glazed chintz for slip covers and draperies have just arrived for spring.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
March 23, 1959
* David Fly, June Skaggs and Yolanda Gillette from Monett High School will compete in the state speech finals at the University of Missouri.
* Members of the Monett High School tennis team are Ralph Nolan, Frank Thurman, Vincent Martinez, Terry Boucher, Mike Garrett, Judy Rains, June Skaggs, Sue Guthrie, Kay Gillette and Cynthia Burke.
FORTY YEARS AGO
March 23, 1969
* The Missouri State Highway Patrol reports that 17,888 vehicles were reported stolen in the state last year, an increase of 26 percent over 1967.
* O.K. Armstrong, of Springfield, author of eight books and hundreds of articles, will be the guest speaker at the March 25 meeting of the Monett Kiwanis Club.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
March 23, 1979
Severe winter weather has left Monett city streets extensively damaged with city crewmen now attempting to repair the damage by blacktopping the most heavily damaged pot holes.
The Gospel Road, a film produced by Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash, will be presented Sunday at the Church of the Nazarene in Monett, according to Rev. Wayne Rose, pastor.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
March 23, 1989
Carla Farmer, a 1988 graduate of Purdy High School, has been installed into the National Honor Society Phi Eta Sigma at Missouri Southern State College in Joplin.
Tresia Jackson of Monett has recently arrived in Germany where she is serving with the United States Army.
TEN YEARS AGO
March 23, 1999
Food treats made by parents, a shared delight for children dating back to the beginning of schools, will now no longer be allowed at the Monett R-1 School District because of health concerns, it has been announced.
Allan Parker of rural Monett has given flight to his imagination by constructing an aluminum and stainless steel airplane as a yard decoration.