SEVENTY YEARS AGO
March 20, 1939
* Fire which covered more than 3,500 acres of wooded land in Laclede, Phelps, and Pulaski counties has been brought under control with damage estimated at $10,000.
* Newman Walker, son of Mr. and Mrs. Milburn Walker of Monett, was reported as another victim of the mumps on Thursday.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
March 20, 1949
* A group of young people from the First Methodist Church in Monett went to Joplin last night to attend the district Methodist Youth Fellowship meeting.
* Jo Ann Hamilton, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Grove Hamilton of Monett, had the best entry in the "Chicken Every Sunday" contest sponsored by the Gillioz Theatre and Hatcher's Cafe.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
March 20, 1959
* June Skaggs, senior at Monett High School, became the second girl in the 25-year history of the American Legion Oratorical Contest to win first place and advance to the four-state regional event in Pittsburg, Kansas.
* One of the most popular cartoons in America, Archie, begins today in The Monett Times and will appear daily.
FORTY YEARS AGO
March 20, 1969
* Monett's Cubs scored one first and two fourth places in the Aurora track meet yesterday with Raymond Krueger qualifying for the state indoor finals in the 88-yard run.
* The internationally famous United States Army Field Band of Washington D. C. will perform in concert Saturday at the Monett High School Gymnasium.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
March 20, 1979
* Annual Eaståer Egg Hunt, sponsored by the Monett Jaycees and Jaycee Wives, will be held April 8 south of the Kiddie Plaåyground at the Monett City Park, according to Mrs. Shirley Garner, chairman of the event.
* The spicy aroma of simmering applebutter, which filled the west part of town yesterday, was thanks to Oren Moss of Monett.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
March 20, 1989
* Theo Martinek was installed yesterday as president for the coming year of the Monett chapter of AARP (Pending).
* Cheryl Jordan of Monett, a student at Southwest Missouri State University in Springfield, was in Kansas City during the past week to participate in the 10th anniversary celebration of National Post Agricultural Students.
TEN YEARS AGO
March 20, 1999
* International Dehydrated Foods in Monett has begun construction on a $750,000 addition to its production plant which is expected to add 20 more jobs.
* A public hearing will be held at the Barry County Courthouse in Cassville tonight on a revised county ordinance governing wastewater treatment systems.